Wonder


Those socks, right?!  I received these amazing socks from my sister for Christmas.  She knows me so well.  Reading was probably my first ever hobby, and will always be my favorite thing to do...anywhere.  But curled up in a big comfy chair in hilariously goofy socks with a seriously good book has got to be one of life's greatest pleasures!

Only three short days ago, on another necessary trip to the library I picked up a copy of Wonder.  I'd seen the movie previews and knew I wanted to read this book right away.  Book before movie, always!  They had two copies available and my son took the other to read along with me (at least that was the plan...I may have left him in the dust on this one).  Last night, I finished the book.  With tears streaming down my face.



Book two of the New Year was amazing.  I'm now having my daughter read it as well.  We have it for 21 days from the library, so might as well!  I really hope my son appreciates it as much as I did though.  He is the same age as the main character although only in fourth grade, and has already had to deal with some bullying issues at school.  He is lucky enough however to have a completely normal face although he does share Auggie's Star Wars obsession as well.  I'll be interested to see if he wants to remove the Star Wars poster from his wall like Auggie did in the book!

I thought so much about the things my kids may say or have said to them at school as I was reading this book.  It's not easy for "normal" kids, but especially not for someone like August Pullman.  And I wonder (pun intended) how they react to kids who are different.  Are they kind?  Are they mean?  Rude? Friendly?  Supportive?  It brought up so many questions and emotions.  I'm seriously looking forward to both kids finishing the book and discussing it with them soon!

I haven't decided what I'm going to read next, but I'll be looking for one that isn't quite a tear-jerker!!

Comments

Popular Posts